Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What is marriage?

# 2 

Wolfson begins his essay about marriage by defining what exactly marriage is. He claims that marriage is a way to show ones dedication to another, the ability to have access to health care and insurance, a social statement, and among other things a relationship between a couple and the government. Wolfson dedicates a lot of his essay to his various definitions of marriage. I think that he does this so that there can be no questions as to what marriage is. I also think that he does this so it stresses the importance of the various meanings of marriage. I found his definition of marriage fair. He described marriage as both an expression of love and a way to allow others (the government included) to see the love that one has for another and to respect that with health forms and insurance. I think that by doing this the importance of marriage is built up and then we he begins to discuss people who are not allowed to get married it makes it seem more unjust. 

1 comment:

  1. Kenzie,
    I wrote about this same question. I agree with you that he first wrote about the definition of marriage so that the audience would be able to have a clearer understanding of what he believed marriage to be. I also liked your point about how he builds up his point about marriage by doing this.

    -Erin

    ReplyDelete